|“||Big Dick Boy, destroyin' property, big prostate, peein' all night, a little concerned.||”|
—Nick Birch in Super Mouth
Nicholas "Nick" Alexander Birch is one of the two main protagonists, alongside Andrew of Big Mouth. He is a prepubescent 13-year-old late bloomer, who lives in the suburbs of New York City and attends Bridgeton Middle School. He is the youngest among his friends, Andrew, Jessi, Jay and Missy. He is based on and voiced by showrunner, Nick Kroll.
Nick Birch was born in 2005, to Diane and Elliot Birch, as the family's third born child after the oldest brother, Judd, and sole sister, Leah. Nick's parents raised him to have a kind, loving, and caring childhood using their overemotional and overly protective parenting skills. Nick's childhood was a luxury that was not given to his two older siblings, who underwent poor and mildly abusive childhoods, as their parents were still untrained in the field of parenting at the time they were being raised. Nick and his family lived in a suburban house in Bridgeton, Westchester, New York.
In a flashback from "The Planned Parenthood Show", Nick was seen in his diaper telling jokes into a microphone that his parents got him as a gift, as they looked on in happiness, with both of them smiling and holding hands with each other.
At the start of the series, Nick Birch appears as a 12-year-old boy, going to Bridgeton Middle School. His best friends are Andrew Glouberman, Jessi Glaser, and Jay Bilzerian. Nick had not yet hit puberty at the start of the show, while his best friend, Andrew, however, has already ventured far down the hormonal road of change.
During the summer, Nick went to Camp Mohegan Sun every year, where he had a whole different set of friends, Seth Goldberg, Gabe, and the loser they always picked on, Milk. As great as these friends were, the only friend who he really ever got in touch with and saw outside of camp was a girl named Roland, who he had his first kiss with.
In "Ejaculation", Nick and Andrew had a sleepover and Nick accidentally got an eyeful of Andrew's penis. On top of being shocked and disturbed, Nick mostly felt inferior due to Andrew's penis being significantly larger and hairier than his. Later, Nick's parents explained to Nick that Andrew was going through puberty Elliot assured Nick that he was a late bloomer, much like himself when he was his age and that there was nothing to be ashamed about. However, this is exactly how Nick felt.
Nick asked out an attractive 8th-grade girl named Olivia to the school dance and although she initially accepted his request, she later dumped him at the dance, having already hooked up with a 9th-grade boy named Dylan. Heartbroken, Nick sat outside in the hallway and Jessi came by to comfort him. Nick leaned in for a kiss and Jessi went along with it.
At the end of the episode, Nick saw Maury enter his room, during Andrew's sleepover and had the ability to communicate with him, signifying that puberty for him had officially started.
In "Everybody Bleeds", word got out about Nick and Jessi's kiss at the school dance and they were pressured into becoming a couple, despite the fact that deep down, neither of them wanted to be anything more than friends.
Nick asked Andrew about his hormone monster, Maury and asked if he could have Maury as his hormone monster too. Maury refused to associate with someone like Nick and didn't even show himself to him again. Nick was really pissed off about this and continued to obsess over Maury becoming his hormone monster.
In "Am I Gay?", Jessi dumped Nick, which he was perfectly fine with. However, Nick went around the school, telling everybody that it was he who dumped her, which pissed her off. In the same episode, Andrew was questioning his sexuality and started to wonder if he was gay. Nick kissed him on the lips, which made him realize he wasn't actually gay.
In "Sleepover: A Harrowing Ordeal of Emotional Brutality", Nick had a sleepover with Andrew at Jay's house, where they were both tortured relentlessly by Jay's older brothers, Val and Kurt under the impression that they'd be watching a porno call The Italian Stallion but this moment never came. Nick and Andrew had to break out of the house and escape. During that time, they snatched the porn video and took it home with them to watch later.
In "Girls Are Horny Too", Nick was confused about all the hubbub over The Rock of Gibraltar and wondered why so many girls were turned on sexually by it, even though it had little to do with actual sex. Nick saw his sister, Leah, who taught him that girls are turned on by different things than boys. Nick learned that while boys are turned on by obvious sexual advances, girls get aroused by stuff that takes a more subtle approach and instead find certain things around sex, (i.e. music, smells, venue, mood, associated objects, etc.) Nick took this advice, when writing a report on The Rock of Gibraltar and incorporated all of this into his oral report, which he read aloud to the class, turning on all the female students, even, disturbingly enough, Miss Raths.
In "Pillow Talk", Nick and Andrew skipped school to go to New York City to see Nick's old friend, Roland, who he had kissed at Camp Mohegan Sun many years back, only for them to get lost in the city. While trying to find their way back, Nick and Andrew spotted Jessi's mom making out with a random woman which they had trouble keeping their mouths shut about. Eventually, Coach Steve found them and took them back home, where they were punished by their parents for cutting school and running around in the city at night.
In "The Head Push", Nick partook in a high school party thrown by Leah while Diane and Elliot were away. There, he hit on high school girl Tallulah Levine, made out with her and got drunk on some Cotton Candy Brandy and confessed to Jessi that he had seen her mom making out with a woman earlier.
Despite punishing Nick for his NYC tirade, Nick's parents were very lenient on him in "I Survived Jessi's Bat Mitzvah", where they gave him no punishment at all for the same party they were punishing Leah and Judd for. Their explanation for this was that Nick was "just a baby".
In "The Pornscape", Nick finally had an extended interaction with Maury, when the two needed to team up to look for Andrew in The Pornscape. They learned a lot about each other and in the end, Maury decided that Nick was old enough to have a hormone monster. Just not him. The next morning, Nick woke up to find out that his new hormone monster was Rick, the creepy old goblin creature that used to belong solely to Coach Steve. Basically, this meant to Nick that from here on out, he was fucked.
In the future, Nick will change his name to "Nick Starr" and become famous as the host of a game show called Countdown to Money with Nick Starr. When he becomes famous, he's going to cut off all contact with his friends and family and live alone in a big mansion, with his only companion being a robotic version of his former friend, called the Andrew 3000.
The episode "Nick Starr" gives an in-depth exploration of Nick's future, in the year 2052.
Nick has an unusually big forehead, which is continuously doted on throughout certain times in the series. Apart from being the shortest of his friends, he also has bright blue eyes and a hook-ish nose over his upper lip. He has full lips with his front teeth being on constant display whenever he's not smiling or showing his teeth in general, which could possibly be the actual result of a dental deficiency (though not confirmed). He wears a dark blue shirt with an unbuttoned formal shirt over it, with purple pants and dark purple shoes. His appearance change is scarcely seen, with rare times of seeing him in his pajamas.
Nick is a rational, sensible, responsible young man whose confidence can take devastating effects when confronting girls. Despite Nick being sexually knowledgeable he is not comfortable in talking or being sexual around girls, and is often critical of his best friend Andrew for being a gullible, sexually perverted and naive weirdo, which is shown in his confrontation with him at a sleepover. Throughout the series Nick's penis was publicly displayed both willingly (drunk in front of ghosts) and unwillingly (when his pants were pulled down by Lola) which made his small genitalia an extreme source of insecurity and embarrassment for him and he is often aggressive towards those who mention it. Nick himself is interested in girls; his inability to properly take initiative often leads to shortcomings and ridiculous attempts to get a girlfriend or impress Jesse.
- Andrew Glouberman - Nick and Andrew have been best friends since childhood. Andrew has been to Nick's house so much, he is considered to be part of the family. In "Ejaculation", Nick became jealous of Andrew's superior penis size, which made their friendship really awkward. In "Am I Gay?", Nick and Andrew shared a kiss, which helped the latter realize he was not gay. In "Sleepover: A Harrowing Ordeal of Emotional Brutality", the two were pitted against each other in a fight club style fight. In "Pillow Talk", Nick and Andrew went to New York City together so that Nick could get together with Roland. Andrew wanted to wear his hat to New York City but Nick made fun of him for it. In "Disclosure the Movie: The Musical!", Nick made out with Missy, which made Andrew hate him. In "Super Mouth", Andrew dumped Nick as a friend after how unkind he was to him. They parted ways but the two were still forced to spend time together because at this time, they were sent to the same summer camp. Thankfully, their friendship was prepared at the end of the camp after Andrew realised he needed Nick.
- Jay Bilzerian - Jay is Nick's second best friend, after Andrew. Nick seems to be perfectly okay with Jay's inappropriate and misogynistic behavior, actually being able to look past it and consider him to be a friend on the same level as Andrew and Jessi. In "Sleepover: A Harrowing Ordeal of Emotional Brutality", Nick and Andrew went to Jay's house for a sleepover and ended up being tortured by all of the horrible things in their house. The duo barely escaped alive. In "Florida", Jay moved into Nick's house and although Nick was initially unhappy with it, he eventually came around to having Jay as his housemate in "How To Have An Orgasm".
- Jessi Glaser - Nick and Jessi used to just be friends but in "Ejaculation", they went to the dance together and Jessi kissed him on the lips. Since then, they've been teased as a couple by Matthew, who spread the news about their togetherness throughout the entire school. In "Everybody Bleeds", Nick and Jessi announced that they were officially a couple, simply because Matthew and the other students were pressuring them to do so. Deep down, Nick and Jessi didn't actually want to date. They just wanted to be friends so this was really awkward for them. In "Am I Gay?", Jessi kindly dumped Nick and Nick was perfectly content with this. The next day at school, Nick told everyone that he dumped Jessi, which got her really pissed off at him.
- Missy Foreman-Greenwald - Nick and Missy started off as just casual acquaintances but when Missy and Andrew started dating, she became more of a friend to him. In "Disclosure the Movie: The Musical!", they were the leading actors of the play and their characters were supposed to kiss. When they kissed on the night of the performance, they actually fell in love. This was well after Missy dumped Andrew but Andrew was still jealous of Nick because of this. Andrew gave Nick shit for this for a while but he eventually got over it. In "Super Mouth", Jessi made Nick tell the truth about not liking Missy, it pissed off both of them and turned them both against him.
- Lola Skumpy - Nick finds Lola to be rather annoying and unattractive. In "Rankings", Andrew pointed out that he was very high on Lola's list and he completely ignored this.
- Devin - Nick despises Devin because of her hateful personality but does still think she's hot. The two of them aren't outright enemies as they've never really "opposed" each other, but it's clear they don't hold each other in very high regard. In "Everybody Bleeds", Devin befriended Nick, along with Jessi, as soon as they became a couple. In "What Is It About Boobs?", Devin started dating Nick not because she actually liked him but because she was trying to get back at DeVon for dumping her for Gina. Nick seized this opportunity to kiss and make out with Devin as much as possible, really cherishing the moment.
- Shame Wizard - The Shame Wizard started harassing Nick in "The Dark Side of the Boob" when he told people about how he touched Gina's boob. In "Smooch or Share", Nick, along with all the other people The Shame Wizard was tormenting stood up to him and took him down.
- Olivia - In "Ejaculation", Nick fell in love with Olivia for being a much older 8th grade girl and asked her to the prom. She accepted only to show up with another guy when she got there.
- Jessi Glaser - Nick and Jessi are long time friends that became boyfriend and girlfriend in "Ejaculation", following Nick getting dumped by Olivia. They shared their first kiss together and although it was awkward, they were both very in love. The duo confirmed their togetherness in "Everybody Bleeds" but after their first real date in "Am I Gay?", Jessi dumped him lightly, saying that it's better that they just be friends. Nick announced to the school that it was him who dumped her, which really pissed Jessi off but despite this, they still managed to maintain a consistent friendship. Despite their relationship being long gone, in "A Very Special 9/11 Episode", Nick still exhibited love for her, when he was low-key jealous, when she got a new boyfriend. In "Nick Starr", Nick had a dream about the future year of 2052 and his future self meeting up with a future Jessi and getting back together again, knowing deep down that they were always meant to be. When the apocalypse happened, Nick was one of the lucky ones picked to escape on the ship to survival and allowed one plus one, he picked Jessi. The two got ready to fuck on the escaping spaceship, only for Jessi to betray him, revealing that she only got on the ship because she was a terrorist who wanted to destroy all the upper class privileged people as an act of revenge. In "The Funeral", Nick inappropriately kissed Jessi, while she was mourning at a funeral, thinking she would react the same way she did in his dream but this, of course, only pissed her off.
- Roland - Nick has a long-distance relationship with Roland, as she lives in the urbanhood and doesn't go to the same school as him. They are still really good friends and occasionally get to see each other during weekends, when there's no school tomorrow.
- Gina Alvarez - Nick started dating Gina in "What Is It About Boobs?", being the only person in school with the courage to actually talk to her. In "Dark Side of the Boob", Nick touched Gina's boob for the first time, while making out with her and his hormone monster went wild. In "Smooch or Share", Nick told everyone that he touched Gina's boob, against her wishes, and the gossip spread like wildfire and embarrassed Gina and caused her to break up with him.
- Missy Foreman-Greenwald - In "Disclosure the Movie: The Musical!", Nick and Missy got the roles of the romantic leads in the school play and they got a little too into it and started kissing and making out in real life, which made Andrew jealous. In "Super Mouth", Andrew found it in him to forgive Nick for kissing his ex and let him date Missy only for Jessi to use her truth powers on Nick moments later and force him to admit that he didn't really love her, making Missy cry and break up with him at graduation. Enough time had passed over the summer break for Missy to forgive Nick and become friends with him again when they entered 8th grade.
- Nick is based on and voiced by the show creator, Nick Kroll.
- It's been explicitly mentioned many times in the series that Nick has an unreasonably small penis, which he is very self-conscious about. This was first mentioned in "Ejaculation" when he accidentally saw Andrew's much larger and hairier penis and became self-conscious about it.
- Nick's first kiss was with Jessi in the episode, "Ejaculation".
- In "Ejaculation", it was revealed that Nick's grandmother gave him a black kit-kat clock, which he has hung up on the wall of his room.
- Nick's first porno was The Italian Stallion, a videotape he watched with Andrew in "The Pornscape".
- According to Elliot's flashback in "The Planned Parenthood Show", Nick used to be interested in comedy, when he was a baby, as he was seen doing an imitation of Jerry Seinfeld. However, due to the massive amount of fabrications in this story, it is unknown if this is true to the real Nick or not.
- In "Drug Buddies", Nick and Jessi did weed for the first time.
- Nick constantly refers to himself as the nickname "Big Dick Boy", a term he coined in the episode "Drug Buddies", while he was high on weed.
- In "Dark Side of the Boob", Nick had touched a breast for the first time, when he touched one of Gina's breasts under her bra while making out with her in his room.