A Very Special 9/11 Episode is the fifth episode of the fourth season of Big Mouth. It is the thirty-sixth episode overall.
On a trip to the 9/11 museum, Nick and Andrew sneak off to meet Jessi, Devon teaches Missy about code-switching, and Coach Steve gets a rude surprise.
- Nick Birch
- Jessi Glaser
- Missy Foreman-Greenwald
- Lena Foreman
- Coach Steve
- Matthew MacDell
- Andrew Glouberman
- Miss Benitez
- Lump Humpman
- Jay Bilzerian
- Lola Skumpy
- Mila Jansen
- Lotte Jansen
- Depression Kitty
- Izzy (Pictured)
- Misha (Pictured)
- Mrs. Skumpy (Mentioned)
- Monica Foreman-Greenwald (Mentioned)
- Cyrus Foreman-Greenwald (Mentioned)
- This episode is a 9/11 holiday special.
- "Gummy Arms" are a new trend, where students put their arms inside of their sleeves and stick gummy worms out to make it look like they have gummy arms.
- It's revealed that Lola's mom dated one of the 9/11 suicide bombers.
- Jessi vapes for the first time in this episode.
- Michaelangelo is a street artist, who spray paints weird satirical paintings on the streets.
- Connie mentions a hormone monster called "The Self-Harm Walrus". He is not seen, but Connie warns Jessi that she's in bad shape if she sees him.
- Lena Foreman and her friends are all in New York, within walking distance of the 9/11 memorial museum, despite it previously being established that they live in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Missy breaks the fourth wall saying that she's voiced by a 37-year-old white woman.
- DeVon having old man issues is brought up again, when he admits to being "old as hell", suggesting that he's not even a teenager.
- DeVon has a "code switch" dial on his arm, which he uses to change his manner of speech around people of different races.
- The settings on his dial are: "Black", "White", "Liberal White", "Pretzels", "SUPA DUPA BLACK", and "Devin".
- Coach Steve learns what 9/11 is for the first time.
- Maury did a student film, while he was in Columbia.
- Missy utters the word "pussy" for the first and second time in this episode.
- Connie resigns as Nick's hormone monstress.
- Mona reveals she lost her virginity to Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame.
- Coach Steve celebrates his birthday in this episode. It was previously established that he was born on September 11th in "The Pornscape".
- Jessi's relationship with Michaelangelo is continued in this episode.
- Nick tells Michaelangelo of that time he made out with Jessi in "Ejaculation".
- An advertisement for Izzy and Misha's "Cafeteria Girls" from "Cafeteria Girls" is shown in the subway.
- This episode is all about the September 11th, Terrorist Attacks.
- The students of Bridgeton Middle School go on a field trip to the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
- Michaelangelo asks Jessi, "How know how to vape, don't you? You just put your lips together and suck." is a take on the quote "You know how to whistle, don't you?" You just put your lips together and blow." from the movie, "To Have and Have Not".
- Matthew doesn't care about such national tragedies as 2005's Hurricane Katrina and The Columbine Shooting of 1999.
- Devin wants to look like Melania Trump.
- Jay-Z's album "The Blueprint", which was coincidentally released on 9/11 happily celebrates its anniversary.
- DeVon later mentions being in a Jay-Z music video.
- The song, Code-Switching includes mentions of such blacks as Will Smith, Diddy, Kenan Thompson, and Sammy Davis as well as the record label, Motown.
- Coach Steve is a disappointed to hear that Ace Ventura isn't funny.
- Lena tells DeVon that he sounds like Nick Cannon.
- Lena says that black people are expected to know about The Beatles but white people aren't expected to know about Jodeci and Bill Biv DeVoe.
- Missy envisions being in Wakanda from Black Panther.
- Missy says that Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh doesn't ever code switch.
- Lena goes to Pinkberry with Nadia.
- Caleb got Rock Candy at the 9/11 Museum.
- Michelangelo erroneously refers to Michelangelo as the painter of the Mona Lisa and Jessi corrects sim, saying it was Leonardo Da Vinci.